So you’ve discovered the alternative strategy — box method division. Now, you need some practice for your upper elementary students! These free box method division worksheets are the solution you didn’t know you needed. 😉
Why Use These?
Look, we’re all searching for something fun and motivating for our students to practice daunting skills. I get it.
That’s why I created these free box method division worksheets that include self-checking jokes!
Oh, and I even did allll the differentiation for ya.😎 Read on to learn more.
How to Use these FREE Box Method Division Worksheets
So, how does it work? Each worksheet is clearly labeled with its type (3 digits, with and without remainders) in the top right corner.
- FIRST: Students will read the joke at the top of the worksheet.
- THEN: Students will solve each division problem with the box method organization method already set up.
- NEXT: Students will note the letter represented by the quotient (in the problem’s box). Then, students will place that letter on the appropriate line at the bottom of the page that matches its quotient until the joke is solved.
- LAST: Watch students explode with laughter and enjoy the process of long division using the box method 🙂
How to Differentiate
There are two versions of each worksheet to aid in differentiating for you.
- The version with the color-coded placeholder boxes offers the most scaffold, as each color explicitly follows the steps to solve the problem. Arrows are also included to guide the process.
- The version with black boxes offers a general scaffold with guidance for placing each number. Arrows are also included to guide the process.
When to Use
The best part about these worksheets is that they’re versatile and can fit various needs.
Here are some ideas to get you started.
- during centers
- homework assignments
- morning work
- fun fast-finisher activity
- substitute plans (answer keys included, too!)
How to Do Box Method Division
If you’re lost in the sauce and need more help learning and/or teaching box method division, I got you!
More of a reader? Start by reading about how to do box method division in five easy-to-follow steps.
Do you need to see it in action? Check out my TikTok video, where I walk you through each step with a quick example.👇🏽
Get your FREE Download!
Ready to dive in? 🥳
Here’s what you’ll get:
- 6 differentiated box method worksheets
- 3-digit by 1-digit division with and without remainders
- Answer keys
Click the image below to access your free box method division worksheets. Happy teaching!